Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tapering?

Hmmmmm. I don't know how to taper. It freaks me out. Cut down on running BEFORE a race? Weird. Scary.

So, I believe I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I have a running coach who plans my workouts and helps me stay on track (both literally and figuratively). It's been working out very well, as I've incorporated a lot of speed work and hill training. While the workouts themselves are tougher (you know, higher heart rate, tiring legs, and the urge to ralph), I feel like running itself is 'easier' because I have a clear-cut plan and am more focused.

That said, I have a 20k this Saturday (the notorious Dam to Dam - one of the country's largest 20k races). Since the Drake Half Marathon, I haven't been getting in a lot of mileage. I've been diligently following my coach's plan, but his plan hasn't been so focused on THE long run. While I was *supposed* to run only seven miles on Sunday (yes - that's it!), I kinda sneaked in a couple more miles. Why? Because I'm scared. I need confidence. Especially before a longer race like Dam to Dam. Yep. I'm a pussy.

In other words - I don't have enough confidence to taper.

Hmmmm. Maybe that's something I should work on...(!)

(So, I'll just leave it at that, since I've made this post into a therapy session.**

**At least this therapy session is free and allows me to work on my writing skillz...)

No comments:

Post a Comment