Friday, May 14, 2010

Marathon Training (For 'Reals')...

Yes, after a not-so-brief hiatus, the Overpronator is back and pounding the pavement. I've actually been running since my last post. And I have been cross-training. And I've showed up hungover for a couple of races (what's new?). And all-in-all, I've been livin' the dream, folks.

Here are a couple of highlights since my last post:

Completed Des Moines Half-Marathon in October '09
Completed (and survived complete hell) Drake On-The-Roads Half Marathon in April '10

I'll be honest with you, I *thought* my training this year compared to last year has been spot-on. Okay, so I've missed a couple of longer runs here and there, but I've kicked up the speed work. When I signed up for the Drake Half-Marathon, my goal was to beat my PR. I missed it by a minute. I blame the hills. These hills were practically ALL in the last half of the race, and they were those long, annoying never-ending energy-suckers. I was a-hurtin' during those last couple of miles. So...I struggled to the finish line, feeling defeated and pissed. And de-hydrated. And hungry. And pissed. Screw the medal.

That said, since then, I've hired a running coach. I'm that serious. Hard-core, if you will. I started his training plan late last week. I'll keep you posted on how this is all going. So far, I've completed THREE speed-work sessions. On a track. 'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment