Monday, May 17, 2010

Intervals, Strides, Tempo Runs...Oh My!

I never thought this day would come. I now look forward to hard runs - like the ones listed in today's post.

I've run on the high school track quite a bit these past couple of weeks. I HATED the track in high school; even the sight of black rubber with pristine white lines used to make me want to ralph. Memories of running the 1500 and 3k invaded my mind every time I thought of the track. I would get SO bored running back then. Eight laps felt like eternity when I was in my teens. During track meets, I'd enlist my friends (who were lucky enough to run the 100- or 200-meter races) to entertain me while running the 3k. Two-sentence conversations, anything - I was desperate for someone/something to make me forget I was running eight laps.

Twelve years later, I'm CRAVING the track. I'm not saying that I LOVE running 6x400s - especially not during the actual interval. Really, I want to ralph during those uncomfortable runs. But, the feeling AFTER those runs are BLISS. Seriously. It's a major high that is not attained after a long, easy run. It's special. Maybe it's the rubber that emits that certain high. I dunno. I don't care. I want more.

Addicted? Thank god. Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment