Thursday, October 7, 2010

Purgatory

Now that I'm over my initial excitement of tapering (which lasted for about two hours after my 20-miler last Saturday), I am officially stuck in the dark depths of tapering. And alas, how fitting that this marathon lands in the frightful month of October.

Coincidence? Hmmmm.

I don't think so.

Really, why don't we just have the Des Moines Marathon on October 31st? Seems like that would be more honest, since the idea of this race is one of the scariest things I've had to contemplate in recent memory (besides a couple of political figures, such as Steve King and a certain person from a certain state who can see a certain country from his/her house).

I think tapering should be re-named. Purgatory is more fitting.

Wiki's definition of purgatory is 'the condition or process of purification or temporary punishment.' I'm gonna emphasize 'temporary punishment.' Sure, I'm tapering to 'recover' (allegedly) from my hard training. I guess one could say that tapering is a process of purification via rest and recovery. But I call bull 'thit' on that notion. Tapering is (temporary) PUNISHMENT! It is SCARY thit. At this stage of the game, I'm probably the most marathon-fearing person out there.

But come to think of it, running itself is also a form of purgatory. The process of purification and temporary punishment seem to fit into the general definition of running, right? And then after I 'deal' with purgatory, I get to reach a state of (five to seven minutes) of happiness and glory, and I get to eat/drink/smoke/snort whatever I want for that day? Right? That's how this is supposed to work, right?

I'm going to have nightmares tonight. Jason, Carrie, Dr. Hannibal, Christine (you know, Stephen King's evil red car - she was freaky), and Freddy Krueger. Ha. They're child's play. They are nothing compared to the beast of tapering. And the idea of running a marathon.

Scary thit, man.

2 comments:

  1. Tapering seems to go both ways, either people love it or they hate it. It depends for me, right now I'm sort of loving it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this is waaaay better than what I had to say about tapering. Of course, I may have a bit more practice at it, but I always seem to feel the same way. AND the "recovering" after doing a big event (marathon, etc) is a pain also because your body needs the rest, may even demand it, but I'm usually ready to get back out there and I hate waiting to recover.

    It is a double edge sword, I guess. And yet. We are all doing it. :)

    ReplyDelete