Thursday, June 18, 2009

Run, Rock and Stroll 10k Race

Last weekend I participated in an annual benefit race called 'Run, Rock and Stroll' in Des Moines. I hadn't run a 10k in almost two years, in which I averaged a 10-minute mile. My goal for this race was to average eight-minute miles and keep a steady pace. Although I was able to maintain that pace and come in first in my age group (yes, this is a first, but I will admit that there were not a lot of people participating in the 10k), there were multiple times throughout the race when I questioned my sanity. I also contemplated running the 5k (which was running along the same route for a while) during the first fifteen minutes of the race.

You see, dear readers, I was in NO shape to run that little race. Why, you ask? This overpronator drank a little too much and was out late the night before. STUPID. I've never missed a race due to a hangover or anything else, and I was not about to miss this one. I was going to get through it, even if I had to crawl (while ralphing all over the place).

Luckily, the weather was perfect - light mist and 60 degrees. And I was fortunate enough to keep a steady pace, thanks to another runner ahead of me. Without her, I probably would've not averaged that pace, as she motivated me to keep up. I also slowed down for water stops this time, which is something I rarely do. I'm always afraid that it's going to hurt my time; it actually helped me get through the race, especially in the last two miles.

So, for future reference, I will *try* to abstain from excessive drinking before races. Not a good idea. I will slow down and partake in the consumption of water. And I will continue to work hard to improve my time.

P.S. I've been adding tons of hills to my runs. I think it's helping...I've come to look forward to running them, as they break up the monotony. Plus, as an added bonus, my legs are getting toned. Bring on the hills!

No comments:

Post a Comment